Fall is here in New England. The leaves are changing colors and will soon be falling from the trees. In this spirit, we decided that now would be a good time to drop a new release.
Introducing Red5 Pro V 5.2.0!
Get more streams per server with WebRTC optimizations. Just take a look at our new benchmarks and you'll see that we added an extra 100 connections! Of course, slimming down WebRTC also means even lower latency.
Also, we added a much-requested feature: scheduling. Instead of having to manually spin up the necessary server instances, you can schedule them to deploy automatically at a certain time. Great news for HQ Trivia style apps, live auctions, or anything else with planned events.
That's just the beginning. See below for more details.
Red5 Pro Server:
- Fixed - Number of file descriptors opened keeps growing on servers with multiple NICs or multiple external IPs
- Fixed - ICE Connection issues with Firefox v62
- Added - On-demand streaming available via clustered edge servers
- Added - Can configure UDP port range for WebRTC in webrtc-plugin.properties (defaults are 49152-65535)
- WebRTC performance optimizations
- Smaller CPU spikes on connections
- Even lower latency
- Higher server capacity
- Updated Azure autoscaling cloud controller to support new instance types
- Updated AWS autoscaling cloud controller to support new regions
- Fixed - Can't broadcast a stream with name event via Stream Manager
- No WebRTC Support for Microsoft Edge.
- There are several tickets filed regarding Edge support for trickleICE with Microsoft, and we filed this one, which they closed as "by design."
- iOS SDK broadcast cannot be viewed with WebRTC in Mac or iOS Safari.
- Cannot force constrained baseline on iOS publisher using AVFoundation or VideoToolbox. Safari does not play baseline without constraints. We have filed a bug ticket with Apple regarding this issue.
- Intermittent issues with Android Chrome v69
- Seeing some publisher drops after 5-30 minutes with the v69 release of Chrome on Android. Stream is still listed, but is not transmitting any data. Browser needs to be restarted to republish.
Autoscaling API v3.1 - New Features:
- REST API for Event Scheduling, which allows you to schedule a nodegroup scale-up or nodegroup creation.
- Ability to mount an AWS Elastic File System path via Launch Configuration
VERY IMPORTANT: See this guide for upgrade guidelines.
Release 5.2.0 Server Performance Metrics
- 500 WebRTC subscribers
- 1,800 RTSP (mobile) subscribers
- 1,000 RTMP subscribers
The same server type can support approximately forty 480p RTMP publishers
To get the latest release, please login to your account and download the new build.
To upgrade your server, follow this link.
To upgrade your stream manager, follow this link.
For example applications, visit our Github page.