As it's been a little while, we wanted to update our roadmap. Like we said before, the software development timeline experiences accelerations and delays depending upon client need or sometimes dealing with updates made by one of the tech giants that we all depend on.
Of course, the further out on the roadmap that you go, the more likely it can change. We add new items based on what you, our customers need. If you are looking for something specific that we currently don’t support, just let us know. We can often accelerate features with paid support plans.
RED5 PRO ROAD MAP - 2019
5.6.0 - SERVER
ANTICIPATED JULY 2019
- New Plugin to support IP Camera, Drones, Bodycams, Broadcast Industry Equipment restreaming and other IoT devices over RTSP and MPEG-TS
- Not a public feature, but it’s an internal refactor to utilize SDP parsing across multiple protocols (RTSP, WebRTC)
GCP Support SM Autoscaling
Monitoring WebSocket connections through stream manager API
5.7.0 - PENDING RELEASE: MOBILE SDK
ANTICIPATED AUGUST 2019
- Will increase performance of the SDK. Needed for 4k video.
- Player allowing for streaming from 360 cameras.
DECOUPLING SHARED OBJECTS - MOBILE:
- Mobile SDK feature making it so that a Shared Object doesn’t have to be tied to a video stream. This allows for Shared Object support even when no video stream has started
5.8.0 - SERVER + SDK
ANTICIPATED OCTOBER 2019
PUBLICLY RELEASE HTML SDK ON NPM
- Open source of our HTML5 SDK on NPM and Github.
UPGRADE THE FRONTEND TO BE MOBILE FRIENDLY
- Revamp of the Red5 Pro front end interface.
SERVER AND SDK
ABR MOBILE SDK SUPPORT
- Adaptive Bitrate support for the Mobile SDK. Brings the mobile SDK to parity with the HTML5 SDK
- WebRTC support for this new video codec. Currently only supported in Chrome although adoption in other browsers seems likely due to Apple joining the Alliance for Open Media
CAULDRON FEATURES (GENERAL)
- Public C++ API for our transcoder application called Cauldron. Allows developers to create their own rules (Brews) and integrate third-party libraries to do things like face detection, general AI, splitting video, combining streams, etc
CAULDRON UNIFIED AND PLUGABLE CODECS API
- More work on our public transcoder API
CAULDRON DOCUMENTATION AND EXAMPLES
- Cauldron API Deployed with Public Documentation and Examples
STREAM MANAGER SECURITY
- Improves Stream Manager security and potential vulnerabilities on cloud networks like GCP, AWS, and Azure
Ubuntu 18/ Java 10
CentOS 7 - Open SSL support/ Crypto lib for ubuntu
5.9.0 - SERVER + SDK
ANTICIPATED JANUARY 2020
UDP SUPPORT FOR MOBILE SDK
- Adds UDP support for publishing and subscribing. Brings Mobile SDK to parity with HTML5 SDK
FRONTEND AND TESTBED UI UPDATE
- Facelift on the testbeds (HTML5, iOS, and Android). The goal is to make them more user-friendly and easier to skin
- Use MP4 as the default container for server-side recordings. Currently, we use FLV.
SIMULCAST WEBRTC PUBLISHING:
- Allow for WebRTC publishers to broadcast multiple variants at once to allow for ABR on playback. Removes the need to use a Transcoder node in the server side architecture for WebRTC publishers.
- This update may allow for broadcasting two distinct media sources in addition to simulcast. (i.e. Camera and Screen)
Anything we're missing? Something you'd like completed sooner? Let us know. Send a message to email@example.com or schedule a call.